Businesses don’t do things unless they make money.
If businesses don’t do things that make them money, why do companies do things for employees that cost money? Like health insurance, bonuses, rewards, work parties ETC. The Idea is to improve employee attitude and satisfaction in order to make more money.
It all starts with the attitude of the employees. An employee with a good attitude is statistically more likely to 1.) Take less sick days and 2.) Going to do more for the company that they care about.
An attitude, simply put, is an individuals judgement on something. Employees form attitudes in 3 steps
- Cognitive- Evaluation
- This is an opinion developed from an event or individual, such as “He is mean”
- Affect- Feelings
- How you feel to the previously formed opinion, such as ” Because he is mean, I do not like him”
- Behavioral- Action
- This is what happens from the feelings, such as “Because he is mean, and I do not like him, I will Refuse to cooperate and work with him”
Understanding how employees develop positive or negative attitudes can directly affect the results of a team.
Festinger made a claim that behavior affects attitude. There are moderating variables/Behaviors that can change the severity of an attitude
- The Importance of the attitude: The stronger importance the attitude has to an individual, will extremely swing the severity of the attitude, Positive, or Negative.
- Correspondence to Behavior: The behavior of the individual, and behavior of those around, will also cause a positive or negative attitude towards the job and the individual.
- Accessibility: Frequency they have to deal with behavior that causes the attitude.
- Presence of social pressure: The more social pressure put on a behavior can cause an adverse reaction to the attitude.
- Personal experience: Personal experience is the strongest attitude maker and breaker. When told a story of the way someone acts, you develop an opinion based upon the story tellers attitude to that individual. When you meet the individual for yourself, you either, formulate your own stronger opinion reaffirming what you were told, OR, you develop a differing opinion based off of what you perceive.
Job Satisfaction and Developing Positive Attitudes
Job satisfaction-A positive feeling about the job. Low satisfaction does not always mean an employee will quit, it just means that they may not give all the effort that an employer may desire. Things that are rated to contribute or degrade satisfaction levels are:
- The work: The most important. The employee must like the line of work they are in to be truly satisfied with it.
- Co-workers: Coworkers are next on the list for being able to make or break another employee.
- Supervisors: are the number 1 reason employees quit, but is another contributing factor to the satisfaction of the employees. An employee that despises the super above them, is not going to be willing to cooperate with the supervisors.
- Pay: I thought for sure that pay would be higher, but I understand that if you are miserable all the time, that paycheck really may not be worth it.
POS- Perceived Organizational Support
The degree of which the employee believes the organization cares about you and what you do. Two ways to show employees you care:
Involve employees in the decision making process: an employee that feels like they had a say in what goes on with the company and maybe even their future, is a great way to show that you care about the employee
Supervisors that are supportive: Supervisors that are involved with employees beneath them, and regularly check up on employees, asking questions of how they feel about their current status in the company. How they feel about what is going on with the company. How does the employee feel about the work that they are doing. A supervisor asking these kinds of questions will cast a great image of the company they work for as caring about the employee.
Job conditions are always a key factor in attitudes and satisfaction levels. Showing up to a job in which you are being put down constantly vs showing up to a job in which the conditions at work are relaxed, and you feel good in the environment around you. I have talked about google once and I will do it again, almost every tech guy or gal wants to work for google because of the job conditions, the work environment there.
Inner Personalities and Core Self Evaluation
Inner personalities and the evaluation on your self will show up in performance levels. The following categories are factors of inner personalities and causes of positive and negative core self evaluation.
- Self Efficacy: Self-efficacy is defined as a personal judgement of “how well one can execute courses of action required to deal with prospective situations”.
- Self Esteem: Confidence in one’s own worth or abilities; self-respect.
- Locus of control: In personality psychology, locus of control is the degree to which people believe that they have control over the outcome of events in their lives, as opposed to external forces beyond their control.
- Neuroticism: This is the gauge of the individuals ability to handle and dissipate anger type emotions
Outcomes of Employee Satisfaction
Job involvement: is the level in which an employee is willing to participate and do what needs to be done. With a high level of job satisfaction you are guaranteed to get a higher level of employee engagement and better job performance.
Customer satisfaction: If your employees are happy at work there is a higher chance of bringing in better customer satisfaction. Better customer satisfaction will bring customers back and Ideally bring in more revenue.
OCB: Organizational Citizenship Behavior. In other words, The employees outlook on the company. A satisfied employee will be more inclined to speak positively about their company to their peers within work and even outside of work.
Life Satisfaction: This in my opinion is the ultimate goal. Being truly satisfied with life. Employees shouldn’t need to feel like they need to go home and scream at their wife, or kick the dog. Everyone should be not just content, but happy with where their life is at.
If you have anything you would like to add feel free to comment! Or contact me with an questions or opinions! I would love to hear them!